Answered By: Denyse Rodrigues Last Updated: Mar 16, 2015 Views: 208
Criterion on Demand is listed in the Mount Library's Databases A-Z list and in the Multimeia Resources guide. It lists over 2000 films and includeds classics, new releases, foreign films, literary adaptations, documentaries, animated titles, and independent features. If you are off campus you will be required to login with your Mount credentials. Please note that Criteria on Demand is available only in North America.
Criterion on Demand allows you to either stream films online or download the video to be played on a computer. Variations in the MSVU network bandwidth can affect the streaming quality on campus, however the instructor workstations and login should get adequate bandwidth for streaming content from Criterion. At other campus computers IT&S recommends that you download the video file to the workstation.
Once you have found the film you wish to show in your class please follow these steps:
- Select the Download option
- Click on the Play button
<A new window appears>
- To play the video file outside of Criterion on Demand you need the Criterion Silverlight Player installed on the computer. There is an Install button to check its status and install the player if needed.
- Click on the Download button.
- Please take note of where the video file is being saved.
- Depending on the size of the video file and the quality your internet connection, it can take from 30 minutes to 3 hours to complete the download.
- Because of the length of time to download the file, it is recommended that you download the video file ahead of your class. You may not save the file directly to a USB jump drive. The video file will only work if saved on a computer or laptop and viewed within 48 hours of downloading.
- You also have the option of downloading to a laptop and connecting your laptop to the classroom projector and sound system. Please see the IT&S instructions linked below on how to use the classroom audio visual systems.
- To play the downloaded video file:
- open the Criterion Silverlight Player on your computer
- click the Upload button in the bottom right hand corner.
- Locate the downloaded video file on your computer and click Open.
- Press the Play button to begin watching.
- You will have 48 hours to play the video file after downloading.
Please contact the Library if you have any questions.